The Beginning of the End.

May 10th, 2011 armare12

I have to admit that, for the past few days I’ve been fighting with Trinity working through my exam schedule, which although not ideal, has certainly taught me a lot about time management and really (I mean, really) knowing your stuff. Unlike at HC, Trinity’s examinations count for 80% of your mark in pretty much every class, so even though you’ve done other work throughout the semester, it doesn’t really count for much! To say that I’m unaccustomed to this system where one day could make or break your entire grade is a complete understatement. I’m unaccustomed—and I don’t particularly like it. But, that’s alright, because three of mine are already over! It was a wee bit crazy having one on Monday and then jumping into two on today, but I am happy to say that I think that they all went well (I hope!) —even though my hand is just about ready to fall off now.

However, the TCD girls and I had a great (and somewhat emotional) kick-off to finals week; on Sunday, we went to Silvia’s house for dinner—seeing her for the last time. She made us her delicious quiche, banoffee pie (yes, it’s exactly what it sounds like—banana and toffee. And, it’s absolutely marvelous.), and so much more—more food than us four girls and the UCD Crusaders could finish! We were also able to meet more of her family, which was really lovely. I’ve always been bad at good-byes—and I can’t say that this has changed in Dublin. As we all moved to get up to leave, Silvia wished us the best of luck and told us what a pleasure it was to have us, how she hoped we had had a wonderful life-changing year. As soon as she started talking, I found myself tearing up (luckily, I have a cold, so I was able to cover it up more effectively!)

Even though I have seventeen days left, I was all of a sudden struck with the impending reality.

The end is actually approaching. And it’s approaching quickly. Now, I constantly find myself thinking about how little time I have left in Ireland—a time that decreases by the hour, the second even. I can’t begin to say how excited I am to get back to my family; I can’t wait to see everyone and distribute hugs, hear stories. But, the fact that this year is done—and how quickly it’s gone by—makes me unbelievably sad. You see, I always knew that I would cry on August 29th when I left my family standing outside security at Newark Airport and stepped forward into a life changing year with three fellow Crusaders. But, I couldn’t have ever anticipated that a little over two weeks before my departure from Dublin, that tears would start to roll down my face whenever I thought about leaving. And, I think, in the end, I’ve figured out why. I’ve already quoted that home is where the heart is—and so, I owe my heart to my home.

But, my wings? Those I owe to Dublin.

One Response to “The Beginning of the End.”

1. Kelsey says:

I’m crying, I’m actually crying. This is beautiful!